If you have ever visited a coffee shop, you would have noticed the names “frappuccino” and “cappuccino” in their menu. The names are so perfectly rhyming that it is sure to have caught your attention. What exactly are frappuccino and cappuccino? Is there any significant difference between them? If you are wondering the same, then check out this article.
Frappuccino Vs Cappuccino
Frappuccino and Cappuccino are blended coffee beverages that are relished by coffee lovers all over the world. It mostly consists of espresso coffee, milk, and sweetener. The major difference between the two is in the temperature and the way it is blended and served.
What is Cappuccino?
Cappuccino is a type of hot coffee drink that is made of espresso coffee, It originated in Italy and comes with steamed milk and foam. Some recipes make use of cream or non-dairy milk instead of pure milk. Some even add flavor to the drink using coffee powder or cinnamon. If you are using flavoring agents, remember to sprinkle it at the top to get the right flavor.
How to make Cappuccino?
For making cappuccino, you need the following ingredients.
- Electric beater/ steam wand
- Espresso coffee maker/ automatic drip machine
- Flavouring syrup (optional)
Making cappuccino involves the following steps.
- Heat milk in a saucepan. Leave it in medium flame until it reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now using a steam wand, gently froth the milk till you get the required amount of foam. If you do not have a steam wand, you can use an electric whipper instead. You should continue whipping till you get the desired quantity of foam.
- Prepare espresso coffee in a cappuccino cup. You need two tablespoons of ground espresso coffee for 5-6 ounces of water. Now using an espresso maker, brew the coffee. If you do not have an espresso maker, you can even use an automatic drip machine. You can directly fill the espresso in the cappuccino cup, but remember to fill only ⅓ rd of the cup.
- Now pour the steaming milk on top of it in a circular motion. This helps to blend the espresso and the milk together. Finally, slowly add in the foam. You can add some syrup or flavoring agent on top if you want.
What is Frappuccino?
Frappuccino is a cold coffee beverage that is trademarked by Starbucks. It is more like a shake. It consists of a cold coffee base that is topped with whipped cream and flavoring syrup. Different variations of frappuccino can be made with decaffeinated coffee, tea, and fruit base. Non-dairy alternatives of frappuccino are also available in the market.
How to make Frappuccino?
For making frappuccino you need the following
- Espresso coffee
- Ice cubes
- Granulated sugar
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
Making frappuccino involves the following steps.
- First, you need to make the coffee base. For this, add one cup of ice cubes, ⅓ cup of chilled espresso, and blend it well. You can use an espresso maker or automatic drip machine for making espresso. But make sure that the espresso is cold.
- Now add ½ cup of milk, two tablespoons of chocolate syrup, and one tablespoon of granulated sugar. You can use full fat, low fat, or even soy milk for this purpose. Blend everything until it is smooth.
- Pour it into a cup. Top it up with whipped cream and syrup or powder of your choice before serving.
What Are the Differences Between Frappuccino and Cappuccino?
Though Frappuccino and Cappuccino sound the same, there are some significant differences between both.
Cappuccino is a hot drink. It is made from freshly brewed espresso topped with steaming milk and fresh frost. Thus, all three ingredients of cappuccino are hot.
Frappuccino, on the other hand, is a cold beverage. It is made of crushed ice, coffee, milk, and sugar and topped with whipped cream. Frappuccino is more like a coffee shake with whipped cream.
Being hot and cold beverages are the major difference between Cappuccino and Frappuccino.
- Brewing method
The coffee cannot be brewed in the same strength for making Frappuccino and cappuccino.
In the case of cappuccino, since hot coffee and milk are used, you get the caffeine taste faster. Thus, you need to brew the coffee only at a medium level. But in the case of Frappuccino, since it is served cold you need to brew the coffee a little more to get the actual taste.
- Caffeine content
For preparing cappuccino, caffeine is the base. Milk and frosting are added to it to prepare the drink. A regular cappuccino will have 120-170 mg of caffeine, which is the content in one shot of espresso.
Frappuccino, on the other hand, is more like a shake. It can be prepared with coffee, tea, and even fruits. If you prepare frappuccino with matcha powder, then you get matcha frappuccino. If you use the strawberry syrup as the base, then you get strawberry frappuccino.
There is a stark difference between the calorie content of cappuccino and frappuccino. The base of a cappuccino is one shot of espresso, which contains around ten calories. The second layer is full-fat milk, which might contain some calories. The topmost layer is foam, which is more of air. Thus, the calorie of one cup of cappuccino comes to around 74. Since no sugar is added in cappuccino, the calorie content is low.
A Frappuccino, on the other hand, has a higher calorie content. One cup of frappuccino contains around 220 calories. This is because of the addition of sugar, milk, and whipped cream. Thus, if you are a weight watcher, then frappuccino is not a good choice for you.
The cappuccino has a fixed recipe. It should contain a 1/3rd cup of espresso, 1/3 rd cup of milk, and ⅓ cup of foam. Any change in this level will result in a different drink. The only change that can be made in a cappuccino is to substitute full milk with skimmed milk or plant-based substitute. But to get the foam of the desired consistency, whole cream milk is the right choice.
For eg; If the espresso to milk foam ratio is 1:1, then the drink becomes espresso macchiato. If the espresso to milk is 1:2 ratio without any foam, it becomes flat white. If the foam is added, it turns to caffe latte. Thus, if you are making cappuccino, you cannot play with the ratio of ingredients.
Frappuccino is a highly flexible drink. You can make it with coffee, tea, or fruits in whichever proportion you want. Cafe vanilla frappuccino, caramel frappuccino, and white chocolate frappuccino are a few of the different varieties that you can make by changing the base ingredient.
- Type of coffee
For making cappuccino, you need to use espresso coffee. If you add other types of coffee, then the taste will change. It is the cream of the espresso that provides the texture to the cappuccino. If you add different types of coffee, then you may not get the same texture.
Frappuccino can be made of any type of coffee. The only requirements for making frappuccino are ice cubes and whipped cream on top. The type of coffee used does not affect the taste or texture of the frappuccino.
- Serving size
The serving size of cappuccino and frappuccino is totally different. Cappuccino is usually served in a small cup that can hold 150- 180 ml of the drink. The cappuccino cup comes with an elliptical bottom that is made of thicker material to retain heat. The top part of the cup is large, with a thin rim that tapers down to form a narrow base.
Frappuccino is served in a tall glass that can hold around 350 – 600 ml depending on the glass’s height. The glass has a broad top that tapers down to form a narrow base.