Modern technology has brought us many machines that make our lives much easier and more convenient. The Keurig is one of the many inventions that make brewing hot drinks less time-consuming.
For a lot of hot-drinks enthusiasts, the Keurig is a must-have and great addition to their kitchen. It can brew any kind of hot-drinks in mere seconds. From teas to coffees, you can enhance your mornings in a jiffy.
There are multiple options when it comes to Keurig machines, from the different water reservoir sizes to the features it has. Read on and we will explore all of this and how to use a Keurig.
How To Use A Keurig For Hot Water
Sometimes, we just need hot water to use for our oatmeal, instant noodles, and hot cocoa. Depending on the model, you can use a Keurig to just heat up water. Some Keurig models will have hot water only button features while others won’t have this. Don’t worry though, as you can still use these Keurig models to make hot water only.
The Keurig K-Elite
Currently, the Keurig K-Elite is the only model that has the option for hot water only. To dispense hot water, turn on the Keurig K-Elite and wait for the water to be heated. Once heated, press the Hot Water button. The five cup sizes available will start to blink. Pick your desired cup size and the Keurig will start to dispense only hot water.
Keurig Models Without The Hot Water Only Feature
The Keurig model that you own won’t most likely have the hot water only feature. However, you can just as easily dispense hot water using these models. For the most part, you can do this by lifting and closing the handle without placing any pods and then brew like how you would any normal coffee. This will result in the Keurig only dispensing hot water. Here are some specific instructions for certain Keurig models to dispense hot water only.
The Keurig K-Mini and the K-Mini Plus
To dispense hot water using these models, add around 6 – 12 ounces of water into the brewer. Next, you need to lift and close the handle immediately after without inserting a k-cup. Once the brewer is ready, the brew indicator will flash. You can press the Brew button to start heating up the water. The brewer should start dispensing hot water only after around 2 minutes.
The Keurig K-Cafe
For the Keurig K-Cafe, lift and close the handle without inserting a pod. The coffee and latte buttons should start blinking. Press the coffee button. After, select your choice of cup size and press the Brew button to start heating up.
The Keurig K-Duo and K-Duo Plus
Do the same for Keurig K-Duo and K-Duo Plus, lift the handle and close it without inserting any pods. Turn the machine on, the pod and carafe buttons should start blinking. Select the Pod option and choose your brew size.
Now you know how to use a Keurig for dispensing hot water only. It is a very simple and easy task to do, even on models that don’t officially support it with hot water only features. Read on to learn more about the Keurig, its pros and cons, how to use one, and is it worth getting one.
How To Use A Keurig For Hot Drinks
In this section, we’ll talk about how to properly use your Keurig model to brew delicious hot drinks instead of just hot water. The Keurig is designed to be the easiest and most convenient way to brew hot drinks, it boasts its “one-touch” system that outclasses other coffee or hot drink brewers out there.
Most people know Keurig for its use of “pods” also called “K-cups”. These pods contain coffee or other hot drink powder mixture. The K-cups are inserted into the machine and are then punctured to brew it through a flow of hot water.
To properly use a Keurig, first, follow the 10-minute device setup directions that are included with your Keurig. Make sure that the water reservoir is full and clean. It is recommended that you clean the reservoir regularly to avoid bacteria and gunk building up. The quality of your water will significantly impact the taste of your hot drinks.
Once you ensure that the water reservoir is full, choose the K-cup that you want to brew. There are a variety of K-cups available. A lot of popular coffee suppliers provide a K-Cup option these days. This includes names such as Starbucks, Margaritaville, etc. Next, lift the handle and insert your chosen K-cup. Close the lid and wait for the brew button to light up. Choose the appropriate cup size and press the Brew button. Once your hot drink is done, make sure to immediately remove the K-cup and throw it away to keep the needle clean. This is how you work most Keurig models, some models may have special features included. You can refer to the device’s guide that is included with it.
Now that you know how to operate the Keurig, you can now make your favorite hot brewed drinks. From teas, coffees, to hot water meals such as instant noodles and oatmeals. The Keurig is a versatile and must-have machine in your kitchen.
The Pros and Cons of A Keurig Machine
Even though the Keurig is an awesome machine to have, there are some pros and cons you should consider. Here are some you should consider when thinking of buying a Keurig machine for yourself.
The Pros of A Keurig Machine
- You can not only brew hot drinks such as coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, but also iced drinks such as iced coffee and lemonade when brewed over ice.
- You can have instant coffee without sacrificing any quality or flavor.
- On top of not sacrificing the flavor, you have access to a wide variety of flavors to pick and choose from.
- It can heat up water for you, eliminating the need for another machine.
- You have multiple options and settings for heat levels and drink strength.
- There are also plenty of choices for sizes, from 4 oz to travel size cups.
- A Keurig is perfect when you’re traveling or on the go, you can pretty much make coffee in mere seconds.
- There are plenty of K-Cups available in your local grocery store chains.
- If you prefer to not use the disposable K-Cups to save money, you can opt for the reusable filter. This reusable filter can also be used with regular coffee mixes.
- Commercial Keurig machines are also available to use in an office environment.
The Cons of A Keurig Machine
- The cost of the machine alone is quite a steep investment.
- The cheaper Keurig models may not offer the features you want such as heat and strength settings, making it obsolete.
- The newer Keurig models are the only ones that support iced drinks.
- Having to buy pods can become very pricey fast, especially if you don’t have the reusable filter.
- On top of being pricey in the long run, K-Cups are not recyclable. This can be detrimental to our environment.
- The VUE model’s cappuccino and latte options don’t come close to the flavors made by an espresso machine.
- Due to the Keurig not being a drip machine, it cannot provide the options for thick or creamy flavors on your hot drinks.
Now you have the knowledge you require to determine whether you need a Keurig machine, how to use a Keurig machine for heating water, and how to use it for making your favorite hot drinks. If you’re an avid coffee drinker and lover, we highly suggest getting a Keurig for yourself. Not only will it significantly make the process of brewing coffees much faster, but you also won’t even have to sacrifice the flavor for efficiency. The reusable filter is also available for those who don’t want to use K-Cups, which is very understandable.