Let’s start by differentiating between espresso and drip coffee. Drip coffee is coffee made with an automatic coffee maker machine. Here, coffee grounds have water dripped through them. On the other hand, an espresso is concentrated coffee made with an espresso machine. Rather than dripping water through the coffee grounds, the espresso machine works by pumping water through the fine coffee grounds at high pressure, resulting in a concentrated and strongly flavored cup of coffee.
Can You Make Espresso With A Drip Coffee Maker?
Yes. Use espresso blends or strong coffee grounds, with your drip coffee maker set to ‘concentrated’. The only thing you will miss out on is the cream that settles on espresso made with an espresso machine.
Read on for a detailed step-by-step guide on how to make a high-quality espresso with your drip coffee maker.
How To Use Espresso Coffee In Drip Coffee Maker
- Make sure you have all the appliances needed to make a high-quality espresso with a drip coffee maker. The appliances you need include a burr grinder to grind your coffee beans to a fine espresso powder. You will also need a scale to measure the required amount of coffee for the amount you want to make, a portafilter to hold your tamped coffee and a suitable tamper for your portafilter. With these appliances, you are ready to enjoy the espresso that you will make with a drip coffee maker.
- In your coffeemaker, insert the portafilter and ensure that you have fresh water for a high-quality espresso. Make sure that the filter fits properly into the coffee maker for the best results.
- Weigh your coffee grinds to be enough for the amount of espresso that you require. Normally, for a single shot of espresso, you need at least 7 grams of coffee grounds. For a double espresso, you will need double the amount of coffee grounds. Get used to using the measuring scales for the best results. Also, you should adjust the amount of water you need to make the perfect espresso. Experiment with this, to get the most suitable amount of water you need. Many suggest that you need two times the number of coffee grounds that you use.
- Add your medium grind or fine coffee grounds into your filter and press them down. Pressed down grounds help to increase the pressure with which the water passes through them for the perfect espresso. Espresso machines use pressure to make a concentrated espresso. Also, make sure that you use espresso coffee blends or strongly flavored coffee for the best drip coffee maker espresso.
- Add water. To make a good espresso, you need very hot water. Since the drip coffee maker may not get to the required temperatures, make sure that your water is warm before you add it to your coffee maker. This will make it easier for the water to get to the required temperature to bring out the concentrated taste and flavor of espresso.
- Press brew and wait for the results of your experiment. Place a warm cup on your coffee maker, onto which the espresso will pour into. The coffee that pours into your cup will have a creamy look, almost like the espresso at your favorite coffee shop. In less than a minute, you will have made an espresso with your drip coffee maker.
- Your drip coffee maker espresso is ready and you can consume it as you like.
- If at first, you don’t like it, follow the above steps again and change the amount of water and coffee that you use for this process. Experiment several times to get the right measurements for a perfect espresso. Make sure to use the weighing scale for every brew.
How To Use Espresso As A Base For Other Coffee Recipes
Because of its strong flavor and taste, the espresso is used as a base for many other coffee types that you may enjoy. Here are some of the popular and not so popular espresso-based drinks.
A latte is one of the most common types of espresso-based coffee. For many baristas, this is the first coffee drink they learn how to make, including its floating artwork. A latte is made of a single shot of espresso, steamed milk, and some foam to make the artwork. It is loved by many for its strong and smoky taste.
Cappuccino coffee is a latte. The difference between a latte and a cappuccino is in the amount of steamed milk and foam used to make each drink. The cappuccino is made with more foam than milk. It is normally served in a cappuccino cup. For most people, cappuccino is a coffee drink enjoyed at any time, while others only take it for breakfast. It is made with a single shot of espresso too.
This is another popular espresso-based coffee drink that is the easiest to make. To make the Americano, take a single shot of espresso then add hot water. You can sweeten with sugar or any other sweetener if its flavor is too strong. Or, you can vary the amount of hot water that you add to it, to enhance or lower its coffee concentration.
This is another popular espresso-based coffee drink. It has several variations. The espresso machination which is an espresso topped with milk foam. The other variation is known as latte macchiato. This is made of a shot of espresso, steamed milk, and milk foam in equal parts. Served in a clear cup, you can see all the layers that make up your drink. The macchiato in any form is sweet and popular with many coffee lovers.
Another popular espresso-based coffee drink. The coffee mocha, as it is popularly known is a chocolate-flavored shot of espresso topped with steamed milk and foam. It is loved for its heavy chocolate flavor that combines perfectly with the espresso’s strong flavor and aroma.
The flat white is similar to a cappuccino. The only difference is that it is made up of the espresso topped only with a layer of steamed milk.
How To Make A Perfect Espresso
To deliver the best espresso, you need the best espresso maker machine and high-quality medium-to-fine coffee grounds. To get the best flavor, ensure that you use coffee beans that are freshly roasted and ground. You will get a consistent taste and flavor in your espresso when you do this.
Make sure that you heat your water to a high enough temperature. Also, remember to pre-heat all of the parts of the espresso machine that go into making an espresso. This makes sure the water gets to the required temperatures quickly. It also helps to get the required pressure to pump the water through the coffee grounds.
Allow for your espresso to pour into your cup for 25-30 seconds. Any longer than this and your coffee will be bitter. Not many people like this bitter coffee.
What Is The Difference Between Coffee And Espresso?
The main difference between coffee and espresso is in the way each is made. Espresso is made with an espresso machine by pumping pressurized hot water through a medium grind, tamp the coffee. Hence the need for a specialized machine.
Coffee on the other hand is quite easy to make. Further, it is not as strong and concentrated as an espresso. Coffee maker machines are not as complicated as espresso machines. All they need is hot water and coffee grounds and a jug ready to collect the brewed coffee.
Plain coffee is easy to drink as is and with milk or cream. There a few who love the strong concentrated taste and flavor of the espresso. In most cases, the espresso is a base for many other types of coffee that are sweeter and easier to consume.